Thursday, July 31, 2008

"...and to drink ...Peru!"

Thought I would expose my children to some classic films today. Better off Dead is one of my 80's favorites. And John Cusack is one of my fav 8o's actors...who moved on to other fantastic films...such as One Crazy Summer, Garden of Good and Evil, Being John Malkavich and High Fidelity. As I watch it, I realize there is a person missing from this movie...his sister Joan. She appears in nearly everything he is in....Gross Pointe Blank, High Fidelity, Must love Dogs....

Dancing hamburgers, cooking strange legged beasties, armadillo-lined coats and trying to "go that way, really fast, and if something gets in your way, turn". These are the things I hope the kids get from this movie. That and an appreciation of good humor. If you haven't seen it...it is a movie about a hapless highschool guy trying to win the girl back and having crazy things happen to him in the process of falling in love with the right girl. Everyone needs a good laugh..and what better thing to bestow on a child than cultivating their ability to laugh at life and not let it drag them down. The attitude we have about life is half the battle.

"...gee Rickie, sorry your mom blew up...."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE John Cusak....all his movies are fantastic! My fave is Say Anything though. Ahhhhh....the only romantic movie I liked...EVER! Give me SciFI or Horror anyday! Now you will have to do the Breakfast Club...in a few years:) Jess

Matt said...

"No, this is a push... this is a pat! Where are you going?"

"To wash my hands."

"You wash your hands on your own time!"

Angie said...

The kids thought the dancing hamburgers were the best part. That and the cartoons that came to life. Could not figure out why the kid on the bike wanted $2...seemed like too much work for just $2... ;-) they have a good point!