Monday, January 5, 2009

hear that?

So, there is a story my parents used to tell me.  I always thought A) it was a neat story because of how they could tell I was awake as a baby and B) that they could hear me at all.  Now as a parent of three kids, I can relate to how life continues but takes on such profound and simple changes.
So here is the story....

When I was a toddler and when my parents would have friends over, I would be in my crib sleeping.  With the noise of the guests and music playing, they would stop mid-sentance and say "Angie is awake"  This would always surprise the guests.  With all the commotion, how in the world would they be able to tell I was awake?  They could hear my nails scratching on the crib sheet.  That is is some pretty powerful hearing.

As I was putting Isaac down for a nap and walking out of his room, I heard the distinct sound of his nails scratching on the crib sheet.  I stood in the doorway for a minute and just listened remembering the story.  It always amazes me how well Mark can hear the baby crying - kids running around, fan on, tv on and he will look at me midsentance and say "Isaac is awake!"  

Here is to keen hearing!

2 comments:

Matt said...

Good story. I'm sure you get used to having to fine tune your hearing to to pick up on the subtle sounds (and the not-so-subtle ones too). It's always cool to hear storied like that. Good post.

Angie said...

thank you man!